This petition is open on the House of Commons, Government of Canada official site until 20 January 2023. Canadian citizens and permanent residents are entitled to sign. Please sign. You will receive an email to validate your identity. You must click the link provided to complete the signing process. Forward the petition to your friends on social media to secure maximum signatures possible. A critical number is required to table the petition in the parliament. "Keghart" thanks Bella Gharibyan of Montreal for initiating the petition and also MP Alexandre Boulerice for sponsoring it.
Please click HERE to sign.
- On September 13, 2022, without provocation, Azerbaijani forces initiated a comprehensive invasion of the Republic of Armenia (RoA). This egregious step is a blatant violation of international law and the rules-based international order. The attacks have caused widespread devastation of Armenian infrastructure and property, unnecessary deaths of 210 Armenians, including civilians, 7600 displaced people and several prisoners of war (PoWs);
- On October 2, 2022, official reports confirmed that more than 7 POWs were brutally killed by Azerbaijani forces. Once again, Azerbaijan violated international law, specifically as it relates to the provisions laid out in the Third Geneva Convention, the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights, and the European Convention on Human Rights;
- Azerbaijan currently occupies 130 km2 of the RoA territory;
- Applying military blackmail and publicly demanding to have an open corridor outside of Armenian control through the sovereign territory of Armenia’s Syunik region, Azerbaijan’s final goal is to seize the region completely, appropriating its territory and resources;
We, the undersigned, Canadians, call upon the Government of Canada to:
1. Assume the leadership role in defending the victims of human rights violations and implement urgent military and economic sanctions towards Azerbaijan and its officials as restrictive measures for violating the Geneva Conventions, international laws, and committing war crimes;
2. Apply the sanctions to pressure Azerbaijan into removing itself from the internationally recognized borders of the RoA, and reaffirm Canada’s unwavering commitment to Armenia’s sovereignty and territorial integrity;
3. Urge Azerbaijan to return all Armenian POWs, detainees, and remains.