St. John the Baptist Church

Armenians first appeared in Venice in 1348. They were called Armenian Brothers and served in the St. John the Baptist Church and Monastery in the Castello neighborhood. By 1434 Calle de Laterne was named Calle de Armeni, as it is known now. The church has been renovated many times. Over the years, there have been 20 Armenian churchs in Italy. The St. John the Baptist is the only one which still belongs to Armenians, other than St. Lazzaro. In the 16th century Armenians had a cemetery on the San Georgio island.  When a church was built on the site, the cemetery disappeared. In recent years excavations have discovered a number of Armenian gravestones from 1570.

Armenians first appeared in Venice in 1348. They were called Armenian Brothers and served in the St. John the Baptist Church and Monastery in the Castello neighborhood. By 1434 Calle de Laterne was named Calle de Armeni, as it is known now. The church has been renovated many times. Over the years, there have been 20 Armenian churchs in Italy. The St. John the Baptist is the only one which still belongs to Armenians, other than St. Lazzaro. In the 16th century Armenians had a cemetery on the San Georgio island.  When a church was built on the site, the cemetery disappeared. In recent years excavations have discovered a number of Armenian gravestones from 1570.

You May Also Like
Charles Dedeyan was a highly-popular Sorbonne professor of comparative literature. In “The Tender Hour of Twilight” writer/editor/publisher Richard…
Read More